This week on Sounds Dope we run down the best in freely available jams, as is a staple of the Hip Hop stratosphere, free music is basically as good as the actually released shit. Expect some stuff you haven’t heard of, that will make you wanna run out and go download the projects these appeared on. Infinite funk to the 3rd degree.
Here are the tapes referenced in this episode by order of appearance for download
This one’s a long time coming, going to roll out all the old episodes that haven’t been clouded yet for yall. Finally figured out this podcasting sheeeit, thank based god.
What you got here is our Kendrick Lamar special, released the week “good kid, m.A.A.d” city was released. Catch the vibe.
Getting lost in Youtube’s endless nostalgia and the channels of excellence that it provides. I wasn’t even conscious of Ginuwine, or music of this ilk, but waving through seas of hyperlinks, much in the way that one can start wikipedia-ing the Civl war and end up at Michael Jackson somehow, I have arrived at this jam. New for me, maybe old for some of yall, but I promise, cross my heart and hope to die, to always keep it as G as the shiny jump suit/wall mural in the above visions. Let’s dance.
I wish Flying Lotus would tour all around the world with Mr. Ferguson, who I am just now discovering, and all of these talented cats (specially the one on the bass), because this, this I don’t have words to explain how much I love, and how much it hits you when you watch. A Hip Hop composition with the full treatment of all the jumbled up sounds that usually get lost in the vibe, now you can see for yourself whats going down plus a ton more. Share this.
What you can witness with your ears above is one the very first things I ever hammered out to near completion in the realm of making a song. This thing is kind of a personal to me, and I guess you might borderline call it emo-uplifting-trill hip hop, but I’m not going to try to describe it further than that. This song actually received a facelift via the mixing talents of one Syd That Kid from Odd Future (through magic of twitter conversations). I am still trying to make anything that is better as a whole than this, even almost 2 years later, and have yet to succeed.
Another go round. These things are becoming harder and harder for me to put out what with school starting, sudden influenza attacks, and a general “shits getting real”ness to my day to day. But I can’t help but put down all the jams in mixform so that you guys can keep up to date. It’s also great to go back to my old ones as its a veritable what’s what of everything I’ve was digging before, a la nostalgia circa century 21.
Well enough Blah-Blahing…
Download The Mix Above, Duh.
Track Listing & Descriptions
1. “The Heart Pt. 3” | Kendrick Lamar : Given this week is essentially Kendrick Lamar week (though should quickly turn into a month given the amount of rotations his new LP has had for me in such little time), this is the first of 4 KL related songs in the mix. This one got left off the album, which is crazy to me, but speaks to the succinctness and precision of this dude’s vision.
2. “Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe” | Kendrick Lamar: Track 2 off of good kid, m.A.A.d City, and possibly my favorite. Hook just pulls at something inside me whenever I hear it, beat knocks, and lowkey Lady Gag vocals in the background not to mention an awesome shout to Boom Clap Bachelors with the sample. “I am a sinner, who’s prolly gonna sin again…..”
3. “Backseat Freestyle” | Kendrick Lamar: This song has all the potential to be “A Milli” version 2012, with the minimalist but gripping banger of a beat, and a lyric driven assault by Mr. Lamar. Can’t wait to see which rappers get on this beat (wouldn’t be surprised to see a Black Hippy Posse Cut)
4. “Cryin Wolf” | ZZ Ward (ft. Kendrick Lamar) : Shouts to Get Up On This for putting me up on this chick. Old style Blues with a Hip Hop sensibility, and Kendrick with a flow that fits like a glove (which might be his most important attribute, his versatility). Expect ZZ to make a lot of movements in the next year. Bow bow.
5. “Numb” | Gary Clark Jr. : Had the chance to see this guy perform at Made In America festival this year, and may I say he totally brought the house down (even had Jay and Bey slow dancing on the sidelines, to the delight of many a black female teen next to me). This dude’s guitar tone is fantastic live, and I would recommend his longer jams from the album, but for the purpose of time, threw on a relatively shorter cut. Ol Jimi Hendrix lookin boi.
6. “The Herbaliser” | Mr. Holmes : Can’t even be sure where exactly I copped this from in my vast scouring of internetz, but this thing is half reggae, half funk, half man, half-bearpig. Groovy innit?
7. “Breakers” | Local Natives : Been a minute since we’ve heard from these boys, and glad to see their harmonizing asses are back at it. This all the pitchfork craze this week, but I’m feeling it meself too.
8. “Genesis (Remix)” | Ryan Hemsworth : First caught this dude’s remix work on the absolutely fantastic job he did with Frankie O’s “Thinkin Bout You” . Dude really does this thing on this Grimes track too.
9. “Sanctum” | 813 : caught this from the new Fool’s Gold Clubhouse compilation, a great mix of new up and coming electronic tracks from new artists. I love what this label does and the diversity of artists they put on, and 813 is no exception.
10. “Original Don (Remix) | Luminox : While the holy grail of all things Trap this year might go to the Original….Original Don remix by Flosstradamus, this thing aint no slouch either.
11. “CCP” | DJ Rashad: Saw this over at a boilerroom.tv set by The Gaslamp Killer. Real trill, real fun, real dope.
12. “Fuckin Problem” | A$AP Rocky (ft. 2Chainz, Drake, Kendrick Lamar) : Not sure if this is going to be the “standout” shit from A$AP’s upcoming LP “LongLiveA$AP” but sounds like a grower, and the kiddies be lovin it.
13. “The Hangover” | Flatbush Zombies : I really fuck with Erick Ark Elliot’s production and vision, especially on this. And Meech might lowkey be the best breakthrough MC of 2012.
14. “Unthinkable Remex” | Mr. MFN Exquire : Exquire always has a weird sense of style with his music, and you can at least credit him for being unpigeonholable. The Alicia sample is dope on this but kinda cracks me up given the image of him vibing to this in the studio, he’s a funny lookin dude.
15. “Do It For the Bay” | Main Attrakionz (ft. DaVinci - Oakland rappers with a southern sound, I guess hip hop regionalism really is dead. This shit would do well in any function bayside or not, I’m a sucker for a good city anthem
16. “Don’t Save Me” | HAIM : Catch the hype train quick cause these chicks is taking off. And the best part is the hype aint unwarranted. This shit is 90’s to me, and I’m all about harmonies, 3 sister tandems with musical parents who are jewish-israeli (and happen to be buddies with a buddy of mine). Expect lots more HAIM round these parts.
17. “Mighty” | Lord Huron : Random folk recommendation from my boy Jason while on the topic of Bon Iver, Fleet Foxes, and other bearded band nonsense, have yet to delve deeper but this track really stuck out to me.
18. “Same Love” | Macklemore & Ryan Lewis : No one is fucking with dude at topic driven tracks. This guy really knows how to flesh out opinion with storytelling and couple it with great songwriting and rhyming. There’s so much honesty in here without any kich or cheesiness, a truly postmodern Rap Record.
19. “Fineshrine” | Purity Ring : Had been meaning to check this album out for a while, after all the hype generated, and glad I finally did. Kind of like some soulful trap, good for mood setting and junk.
Another song that got left off of “Good Kid, m.A.A.d City”, and it says alot that it says alot that songs this good (and also the jam that is Cartoon & Cereal) are getting left off albums at all! Kendrick seems to ONLY be able to rhyme with intense conviction, and I’m having a hard time remembering the last time I heard him on anything where he didn’t put his whole fucking foot in the thing and just murder the shit out of it. That’s what he’s known for and that’s what he does here.
“Even when my album leak, kids still buy it for proof”. And he’s not wrong.
Good Kid, m.A.A.d City, Oct. 22.
Admittedly this isn’t the least chauvinistic song I’ve ever heard, but damn if it ain’t hard. El-P laces this once perfectly as he’s being doing for a diverse range of artists for years now. Quietly having the best year of any producer out there, and getting Gucci on here was a smart move. Burrrrr.
Jam of the Day | “White Dress” - Kanye West
Kanye tones down the flash a bit in this new joint off of Quentin Tarantino’s upcoming flick “Man with the Iron Fists” Soundtrack. Co-Produced by the RZA and West, this song should make the final cut of the movie and for good reason. Just the other day I was pining for Kanye’s Late Registration era mood driven instrumentals, this one sampling Mario’s hook for All The Way Gone on Game’s last album. Dude really went in weaving tales of a rollercoaster relationship that might have been the one. Hoping this might be the direction of his 6th album.
Recently Added Vol. 6
Been out the mix game for a minute (many minutes indeed). Just a perfect storm of my computer’s hard drive crashing (thank jah I had backed up the thing like a week earlier), vacation ending, and just getting back into the swing of life has long delayed this. Meaning got a lot of catching up to do since last time, but fret not went ahead and made a longer one that catches all the best stuff in the last month. And its a whirlwind of goodness, had a real hard time cutting this down to just 24 tracks.
So for this go round, gonna do short commentary about the tracklist to give some background on relevance and what not:
1 - Overture (ft. Chell) | Danny! : Off his new Payback album. First heard this when dude kindly let me hear a 24 hour stream, and have had it stuck in my head ever since. 8 months or so later after a label change and revamped track list, this thing finally came out and its a very possible album of the year nod candidate for me personally.
2 - Misunderstood (ft. Lil B & Blu) | Danny! : Same album, this song originally had a different beat, different guests, and a different Lil B flow. I’ll say version 2.0 is improved and Brandon dun stepped his shit up, plus a Blu verse is always welcome. Beat knocks
3 - Compton (ft. Dr. Dre) | Kendrick Lamar: Besides Dr. Dre seemingly piggyback all over this kids nuts to stay relevant, and spitting a kendrick-ghostwritten verse, this thing is just greatness. Produced by Just Blaze, off his upcoming debut, this kid may very well come out with a classic given what’s been released from it so far.
4 - Stoned (ft. Del The Funky Homosapien) | Chris Young the Rapper: Gifted young rapper from San Diego, had the pleasure of interviewing (peep that once the new radio show launches), this track is funky as hell and love the sample in it. Trust you’ll be seeing more of him and his new group V.I.B.E
5 - Belly Beat | Zack Sekoff: Winner of Stussy’s Make Beats contest, at only 16 this kid is destined to chop and screw the face of the beat scene out West and beyond. I lose my shit everytime the choral chanting falls right into the beat drop, and i expect the same for you.
6 - Black Radio (ft. Yasiin Bey) [Pete Rock Remix] | Robert Glasper: Black Radio was one of my highlights of this year, a jazz album that is much more, with an all star guest list. Now a remix EP is coming our way, and this track bangs with Mos Def’s alias all over the damn place. Bey Bey Bey Bey Bey Bey Bey Bey….
7 - Getting There (ft. Niki Randa) | Flying Lotus: Favorite track off the new album, Until The Quiet Comes. Stop funkin around and go cop dat
8 - The Nightcaller | Flying Lotus: Just a brazen shameless display of cosmic sloppiness. Another standout on the new LP.
9 - The Killing Joke | Captain Murphy: An unidentified flying object of flylo association, brilliantly stole the show (from Earl no less) on the Adult Swim single earlier this summer. Who is Captain Murphy? No one seems to know.
11 - About That Life (ft. Jahan Lennon) | Diplo: The man with the plan, blammin out surprises everywhere. More than just Mad Decent, this shit is constantly rotated in ze automobile.
12 - The Coolest | Jaden Smith: Yes its more than likely Will Smith’s offsprings have the management team of 10 P. Diddy’s, but regardless THIS BEAT IS SO SERIOUSLY FIYERR.
13 - Til I Met Thee | Cody Chesnutt: Ya’ll might remember Cody from The Roots’ “Seed 2.0”. Sounding mighty like Marvin right here.
14 - Pussy Is Mine | Miguel: The name’s mad chauvanist, but the sincerity in this acoustic lil jam is real.
15 - Gravity | Miguel: Can honestly say the hype is all its cracked up to be, Kaleidoscopic Dream is the only thing giving Chanel Orange a run for its money.
16 - Ratiug | John Frusciante: I’m a diehard Frusciante fan, and will download anything he touches. Hes experimenting all over the place on this new album, and overlapping harmonizing by him here just makes ya earz melt.
17 - I Should Watch TV | David Byrne & St. Vincent - Love this Giant is a must listen. Break beats, funky ass brass, angel cake vocals, and David Byrne’s greatness shining brightly.
18 - Skyfall | Adele - Let’s hope the movie is this good…Quantum of Solace really sucked dinnit?
19 - Waterlines | WHY? - Why the fuck not? Cause Jonathan Avram is G’d up and Emo AT THE SAME DAMN TIME.
20 - We Bout It | Thugli - Originally intended to lead the mix with this, but remembered Mr. Swain’s epicness was to vast. Off that excellent Certified Trap tape for all yall fiendin.
21 - Grill | MellowHype - Numbers drops tomorrow son. OFWGKTA taking over 365. Its the M, the E, the L…..
22 - Ima Hata (ft. Tyler, the Creator) | Waka Flocka Flame - Been waiting for these two to get together on some ignorance. This thing slaps.
23 - 808 City | Bear Pause: Some random trapness that floated my way. Thanks to RunTheTrap.com they keep me familiar.
24 - Black Dice | Death Grips: Yes that’s a member on the cover (NSFW) with sharpie scrawled on it, but they call it art, and I call this rad as fuck.
So enjoy yall, comments and likes, and shares are so fucking appreciated.
Friends in High Places | Killroy “Out on the Weekendz”
Never did hear a Neil Young sample grooved up in such ways, this one chills. Check the rest of Killroy’s stuff over at Soundcloud.
Jam of the Day | “Robert Raimon Roy” - Robert Raimon Roy
The White Tiger of Provost Court, Jacksonville, FL has returned with some new ish from his upcoming LP “Le Tigre Blanc” and it sounds oh so sweet. I’ve been on this dude ever since I saw the “Fur in My Cap” video in all its greatness, followed up by every smash banger of electic spaced out funk that he’s provided. Here we have essentially his introduction to the masses, its not often you get a self titled song, but dude serves up such great mix of his usual Andre 3000-esque stop n pause rhymin, with perfectly placed spacious instrumentation (horns, break beats, vinyl scratches, assorted woodwinds, and a sexy sax solo clash oh so beautiful).
This has long been my tied for my most anticipated album with Kendrick’s Debut ever since Frankie O’s LP dropped, and now it looks like its finally coming out of obscurity.
Sidebar: for proper schooling check out
Jam of the Day | “California Boy” - Lil B
Sorry if you’ve been missing the I to I-ness. Been a wandering jew as of late, and after a weed addled, sunshine stricken amazing voyage out west, should be getting back into the swing of things pretty soon. For now, I’ll let Brandon take it from here. Thank you Based God, again, forever.
Download This | Recently Added Vol. 5
Sometimes its hard to keep up with this kind of thing in the midst of summer, where the outdoors, good times, good vines and good lines are in abundance.But somehow, someway I managed to eek this one. Just as the summer starts to cool off, the tracks start to heat up, this is a common trend in music. Lots of tracks on here could end up becoming an anthem going into the end of the year. Got that new G.O.O.D music from Cruel Summer,Diplo, a Thom Yorke electronic side project and tons more. And of course, lots and lots of TRAP.